Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Convocation

August 25th, 2010

Tomorrow I will give my Teacher of the Year acceptance speech, one that I have been writing...and revising for well over a month. The thought of giving this speech before my colleagues has made for a few restless nights. For those of you who are interested,
and could not attend...I was informed that the speech will be on a new video television show that is being created by Peter Stone. The focus of the speech centers around a poem by Canadian song writer and poet Leonard Cohen;
"Ring the bells that still can ring...
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything...
That's how the light gets in."
Being nominated, and named Somers Teacher of the Year, has been a great honor. Of course, one does not accomplish anything within a school setting by themselves. I'd like to thank Principals Riola and Oliver,my friend Pat Clark, who has been a tremendous inspiration while at SES.I believe this award must be shared with my fourth grade team; Carolyn, Lisa, Alicia, Kristen, and Mike. Without your help and support has been appreciated. I'd also like to thank the Somers Education Foundation, Gail DeBortoli's family for their unending desire to keep their daughter's memory alive, and our Parent Teacher Organization...and all the work they do to make great things happen throughout the school year. Working at Somers Elementary School has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my adult life, and I will miss the many friends I have made over the years.
Best,
M