Monday, August 23, 2010

New Place to Call Home

August 23rd, 2010
"This is the beginning of a new day..." After eight years teaching third and fourth graders, I have accepted
the opportunity and challenge of working with sixth graders. The change is bittersweet, having to uproot and
leave many friends and colleagues that I have grown so fondly of over the years. I look forward to watching
and hearing of the many interesting activities that take place at the elementary school, and know that Mr.
Mike McDonnell will do an incredible job in 4th grade....where both the students and faculty are so lucky
to have him back in the classroom!

As for 6th grade, and Mabelle B. Avery Middle School, I look forward to helping students make connections with
world literature and understand that good writing is a process that takes time and dedication. My ultimate goal
is to create an atmosphere filled with enthusiasm for Language Arts, one that will hopefully develop life-
long learners and readers. I think sixth grade is a wonderful grade to teach, a year where students
have entered the half-way mark between Kindergarden and 12th grade. With some of the most
difficult years ahead of them academically, I believe sixth grade is where students need to
understand how they learn best, and rid themselves of poor habits.

See you in the classroom.